Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mexican Pasta


Mexican Pasta
Ready In: 30 MinutesYields: 8 servings


INGREDIENTS:

1 pound seashell pasta 1 onion, chopped 1 each green and red bell pepper, chopped (orange and yellow, too, if desired)1 bag frozen corn2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced petite tomatoes 1/2 cup salsa 2 packages taco seasoning mix
vegetable juice water with vegetable base to cook veggies in
salt and pepper to taste
extra herbs to taste - Oregano and Chili Powder are good, and Cayenne Pepper if you like spice
I also like to use Emeril's "Essence" - the recipe for that is after this one. :)


DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat water mixture over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook the onion and peppers in it until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add more water or juice if needed. Stir in corn and heat through. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, salsa, and seasonings. Cook until thoroughly heated, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour sauce over cooked pasta, mix well and serve. Add Parmesan cheese on top if desired.


~*~*~


Emeril's Essence Seasoning:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon thyme

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,

    This recipe looks terrific and I love the idea of being able to eat it without gaining weight. :-) But since we must remain gluten-free, I'm wondering if it would have the same effect if we used our gluten-free pasta. It's normally rice based. There are others ... like quinoa mixed with corn ... but the corn brings up my blood sugar even more than the rice, so we usually stick with the rice pasta. Is rice okay on this live-it? Do you have many more recipes that you will be posting? I was really excited when Lizzy told me you had this blog. I look forward to seeing more here. We have to make our own taco seasoning (gluten-free), but it's turned out that we like it even better than store-bought seasonings. I have mixed up Emeril's Essence seasoning long ago and really enjoyed using it. Thank you for the reminder!

    May I ask what fats are allowed on this live-it? I know it's really about how much fat you have but I'm wondering if the kind of fat is important. I have many questions and just too small a space! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, Aunt Sally!

    I will be adding more, and was actually planning on adding the recipe for my wonderul lunch that I made from leftovers today. :)

    As far as I know, rice is all good. Check the fat and calories and do the math to be sure on the kind you're wanting to use. ;)
    I think the only raw pasta that is high in fat is egg noodles, and that's because of the yolks.

    To follow what my mom does, all you have to do is check the fat percentage and so long as it's lower than the number you've set for yourself then it's good. Of course, you don't want to kill yourself with a huge amount of calories per day in foods just because their fat percentage is low. Actually, it's mostly drinks that that happens with. Coffees, sodas, etc.

    Another thing I hope to post soon are tips and substitutes for taking the fat out of recipes. The trick is to take the oil and butter out of things and to bake rather than fry. It can be done without sacrificing the taste. ;)

    If there's more you want to know, feel free to e-mail me. :)

    And if you can help me learn what to avoid that contains gluten, I will try to get as many gluten-free recipes to you as I can. ;)

    ReplyDelete